Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Driving in Oz

Well, old habits are hard to break.

Aaron has been working in Sydney this week so I have been driving the car quite a bit taking our son to school and running errands and such. We lease a car and we usually drive a small little car that is easy to maneuver around, but that car has some kind of engine problem so it is in the shop to get a new engine, so we are driving a truck. The Aussies would call it a "ute" as in a utility vehicle, but we (and all other Texans) would call it a truck, and it is maroon, a color I love. (Go Aggies!) Trucks are big, Aussie cars are small (in general) because the streets are skinny...trucks are a little more "junk in the trunk" type vehicle so there are plenty of times that I just take up the whole side of the street, not to mention the entire parking place.

However...remember that little thing about driving on the other side of the street and the steering wheel being on the other side...oh, and did I mention this truck is a standard? So, not only do I have to remember to drive on the left side of the street, I have to shift with my left hand. The way we remember what side to drive on is that the driver of the car should always be in the middle of the street...I think that phrase a lot as I make turns and such. On top of it all, we live in an area that goes from mountains to beach...so what does that mean? Lots and lots of inclines, hills, mountains, curves, and turns...and it is a standard? I am doing good to remember to drive on the left, much less to shift! But anyway, I have actually acclimated to it quite easily and can't complain. I am grateful to have the truck and I think I can drive it just fine, albeit a little slow at times.

So, here is where you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Twice within the last two days I have gone out to the truck, unlocked it, and gotten into the car on the left side. It is not until I am sitting in the passenger seat that I realize I am missing a steering wheel and then I have to get out and walk around and get in the driver side and look like "I meant to do that." At least I only turn the windshield wipers on every once in a while now instead of every time I mean to turn on the turn signal. I mean, who sat there and decided....we will make this car the same, but move the steering wheel to the other side and just for kicks, let's switch the blinker and the wipers...that will surprise them! (I am not amused.)

Another thing about driving in Oz is that most road around here are two lanes going each way...however, the outside lane is only a lane if no one is parked there, so if someone parks there (in front of the building), then it becomes a parking lane and not a driving lane. So, you can be driving along and all the sudden, there is a parked car in front of you, so you have to be ready to change lanes. Also, if you are in the middle lane and you want to turn and the person behind you wants to go straight, then it is fine for them to just go around you...which is fine as long as there is no one in the other lane and no one decided to park in the other lane.

The other thing you have to watch for is pedestrians. Since many people walk and take the bus, they are very careful to have safe passage for the pedestrians...which is nice. So, when the light in front of you turns green and you want to make a left hand turn from the left lane (remember you are driving on the other side of the road), you have to make sure you don't have a green light with a red arrow, because the pedestrians may be crossing at that time and you are supposed to stay put. Since I am usually more of a pedestrian than a driver, I am all for watching out for the peds!

So much to think about...sometimes when I get home from driving all day while running errands, I just want to lay down and take a nap because I try to be really aware and careful and do everything the Aussie way...it sometimes wears me out.

However, with all that being said, we still love it here. The weather is getting a little cooler and by June and July we will be heading into Winter, which should be quite a change from Texas. I also have started making a list of things I need to buy while I am in the states in July. Things like...Mrs. Dash--can't find anything like it here...shoes--the cheapest shoes I found at Payless Shoe Source the other day were $59.00 Sandals...yes, sandals! Hot sauce--many of the things they tag as "spicy" are really not spicy at all, and green chilis---you know the little can for like $2 at the grocery store in the Mexican food section that contain those wonderful little green bits of green chilis that you put in sour cream chicken enchiladas or green sauce or whatever...they just don't exist here and their fresh chilis just aren't as good. I guess it has something to do with being nowhere near Mexico. I also would like to eat a banana or two while in the states...because of the flooding up in Queensland and Brisbane, the bananas are $14 a kilo, which is about $7 a pound...so, I miss those $0.99 a pound bananas that you can get at HEB.

And of course, I miss my family and friends. Thank goodness for social media that keep us connected...you me, and the good old blog....and facebook...and email...and the internet...I love my technology!

Cheers!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks and Gig 'em!