Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fascinated with fascinators

It seems that with the Royal Wedding, most of the world has now been introduced to the world of fascinators! I would not be real surprised if they now became a bit of a fashion in the states since Kate was seen in fascinators for a few events before the wedding.
You may wonder...what exactly is a fascinator? This is the definition from http://www.designerfascinators.com

"A fascinator is an extravagant accessory adorning the head/hair and is becoming the popular alternative to wearing hats to formal occasions. These elaborate headpieces can be found in a variety of shapes and colours and are generally made out of a combination of feathers, beads, flowers and netting"


My understanding from asking my British friends is that the difference between a hat and fascinator is that a hat has a brim and a fascinator does not. You may also be wondering how in the world some of those are staying on people's heads? There are probably a few techniques with bobby pins and such but my fascinator has a head band.


My very first fascinator...



And I admit that I just love this thing. These are not things you see worn every day, generally they are worn at the horse races (similar to the Kentucky Derby) and at fancy events. However, they are easy to find around here, I just bought mine at the mall at an accessory store that carries all sorts of jewelry and such.

I also have this one, it is a new one I just got...I was given this one to wear for the royal wedding party. It also stays on via a headband.




Here is my friend Kiri and I wearing our fascinators for Easter. Her's is a little pink mesh kind of top hat that is so darling and mine is the first one I have shown above with the polka dotted netting.


And here it is on...for some reason I cannot find the original of this picture so I can properly turn it...so forgive me for posting this silly sideways shot but I wanted you to see a good shot of it on.


I think they are fun and add that extra oomph to your outfit. I admit that I sat and watched the Royal wedding festivities here with my Aussie friend and her very British mother and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fun to have some Royal fans there to tell me about the people and talk about the different dress styles from other weddings. Since I live here in the beautiful land of Oz, we fall under the British Monarchy and are subjects of the Queen of England, so it gave it even more meaning to watch the wedding.

To go along with our fancy theme, I brought scones (remember it is pronounced like rhymes with gone NOT cone) and white truffle cup cakes with fancy decorations on top. It was a lovely affair from beginning to end.

However, I must say, if you are going to wear a fascinator, I suggest you stay away from this one!






Go find you a fascinator to wear today!!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks and Gig 'em!