Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Aussie Delicacies

Hello from a cool and wet Oz!

It is winter now in Oz and we have had some really cold temps lately because we had Antarctic Winds from low and high pressure systems in the Great Australian Bite and Tasmania. Brrrrrr! Since most homes do not have central heat or air, it makes for some cold nights. A friend of mine posted on Facebook the other day that they were all sleeping in 3 layers of socks and sweat suits to stay warm. Luckily those winds have moved on and it has warmed up a little.


I thought I would show you a few more delicacies that we have come across here. It seems many of my posts are about food...but hey, I am a foodie!

First we have Lime Marmalade. I admit, I have no idea what you do with this stuff. Anyone know or want to take a guess?
Sliced cucumbers in a can...now, Oz doesn't have hamburger sliced pickles, but they have sliced cucumbers that it looks like you put on a sandwich? Okay...
Okay, now I do not think I have ever had this brand, so I am not endorsing it, I just wanted you to see these pies. Pies in Oz are all about meat...and all sorts and mixes of meats. Fruit and pies is unusual to them. Some of these are served hot and some cold. I think I have only tasted one and it was good.
This is a refrigerator section in the grocery store...if you look closely, you can see a dog on the wrapping...No, this is not dog meat, it is dog food! For the picky eater canines in your life.
Again, not endorsing the brand, but these are the Aussie version of Sausage Rolls and they come in all varieties and you can get them all over the place. I would say this is the Aussie equivalent of a Taco Bell burrito, but not really anything like a burrito. It is a meat mince mixture with a puff pastry rolled around it. The sausage is not encased.


These are Yorkshire Puddings...a very British little bready muffin thing that you put gravy on and eat.
Did you know great Italian meals start with Coke? It must be true because the label says it! There are a lot of Italians here in Oz, so I guess I should ask them if this is true. The Italians I have met so far are lovely lovely people...and great cooks!




Sliced beetroot! I know your mouth is watering as you think of this great delicacy! Actually, I wanted to show you this because this one of the things that Aussies put on their hamburgers...yes, I said hamburgers! You get this lovely red streak of juice dripping down your arm. Just makes your mouth water to think about it doesn't it?
BON APPETITE!

1 comment:

  1. A Hamburgers without beetroot just not done you want weird go to USA and try a cream doughnut without cream or a milkshake that turns into a thick shake

    ReplyDelete

Thanks and Gig 'em!