Friday, February 18, 2011

Brekkie at the Beach with BBQ sauce

We had a church breakfast at the beach this morning that was fun. Everyone from our church was invited to come join in a picnic on the beach and people brought food and we chatted and the kids played on the really nice playground they had there and some of the older kiddos went down the beach for a swim. It was a lovely view and a fun time. I bought new batteries for my camera and was readyt o snap some beautiful shots, but the new batteries I bought were dead...all four of them!!

Brekky is short for breakfast. I have heard it said that Aussie's shorten everything. Thanks is "Ta", breakfast is "brekkie", and kindergarten is "kindy". It takes some getting used to but I like the abbreviations.

Now, on to the breakfast! I was asked to bring a dozen muffins, so I made up my favorite blueberry muffins and other people brought muffins of a similar vein. We also cooked on the barbie (barbeque). I am still getting used to the Aussie idea for barbeque. Basically, when I think of barbeque, being a Texan, I think of a big brisket covered in sauce and cooking for hours but in Oz it really just means the food was cooked outdoors. For instance, at the breakfast, they had bacon and eggs they were cooking on the grill. Now, the bacon was really more of what I would call ham...bacon here is more like Canadian Bacon than American Bacon. And the eggs...well we all know you cannot cook eggs on the kind of grill I am thinking about unless you do it in a pan. However, both the ham and eggs were being cooked on an outdoor griddle like thing that was quite convenient. They brought these rolls, which looked kind of like a hamburger bun but they were larger and flatter. My hubby said they tasted more like a piece of white bread as opposed to a bun, they were very soft and good. When they fried the eggs, they would put down a metal circle and then crack the egg inside the circle so the fried eggs came out in perfect little circles. So, what you did was take half a roll, put on the butter, put the egg on it then the ham and the other part of the bun. Kind of like an Egg McMuffin at McDonalds, but with bread instead of a sour dough...and about 3 times bigger. I thought that sounded yummy! Then I realized they were putting some kind of sauce on it...I was amazed to see that they added barbeque sauce! Wow, I never would have guessed to put barbeque sauce on that sandwich. When I asked my friend, she said "The barbeque is the best part of the burger!" (I have noticed that they call anything you put on a bun a burger.) Wow. I actually didn't try it, I was already full from muffins and fruit because I didn't notice the sauce until later in the morning. I admit that I love to put the barbeque sauce on my Freebirds burrito, but never would have thought to put it on an egg and ham sandwich. Next time, I will have to try it!

1 comment:

  1. I still enjoy reading your posts and being a fellow "foodie" it's fun learning about the Aussie cuisine. I'd definitely try the sandwich (burger?) with sauce but I'm pretty sure I'll stick to un-sauced Egg McMuffins!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks and Gig 'em!