Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Paitya Dance Group-Indigenous Welcome to Country

Howdy Mates,

I hear the weather is cold back in Texas so I hope you are all staying warm. It is summer here, so it is warm but it has cooled down some and has been really pleasant.

Today I am in Adelaide, Australia at a conference. Adelaide is known for being Australia's wine country. We are staying in the downtown area, so I have not seen much of the beautiful wine country but we have some conference sessions there tomorrow, so that should be nice. Since I don't drink alcohol, I will just sample some fine grape juice! (At least that is what they do on wine tours that I have been on before, the non-alcohol people get fancy grape juice!)

Today during the welcome of our conference, we have the Paitya Dance Group come and give us an indigenous welcome. I recorded just a little of it to show you. I would equate the Australian indigenous groups to the North American Indian and their rituals and dances. They tell stories and show the heritage of a people that in many ways have been resilient and not always treated well by their country's government.



And of course we squeezed in some shopping as well. Here is a picture of a typical street mall in Australia. We have one similar to this one in Wollongong. It is interesting to see the shops and then these large hotels and buildings nestled in between, some of them look quite old and ornate and you can tell that they have filled in the empty spaces that once surrounded these buildings.









We even found a Target store, which was smaller and different from the US and really I thought it was quite expensive, but still fun to shop around. The clothing section for women was really large but it was still not the Target I love in the US.

So, tomorrow I hope to take some shots at the wineries and share them with you.

Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks and Gig 'em!